Monday, November 12, 2007

Yarn fame, hon

So, today began fairly grumpily. For starters, it's Monday. And even though it's Veteran's Day, I have to work. And Metro decided that not enough people do actually have to work today, so they're running a weekend schedule. And it's rainy.
But things really started looking up when I got an email from Laura at The Unique Sheep. You'll recall in a previous blog I mentioned that she was holding a colorway contest. I submitted a gleaming photo of one of my hometown's (Baltimore, hon) holiday highlights, 34th Street:


and--hoorah!--I won! You can check out the colorway here, and be sure to browse her entire site, the yarn is absolutely beautiful! For my photographic inspiration, I get a my very own skein of yarn in the new colorway, I can't wait. I might actually knit something for myself for a change!

I also finally managed to finish something this weekend, the neverending scarf. I added some fringe to the end, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I placed another order at Knit Picks, so I'll soon have the needles I need to do Cobblestone's sleeves, as well as the project for my swap (and that's all I'll say about that, as I have a sneaking suspicion my swap buddy might read this . . . .). I'm feeling guilty about the swap, the mailing deadline is the first week in December, but it looks like a lot of people there are done their projects already!
I was planning to cast on for my grandfather's Christmas socks this weekend, but in reviewing the pattern, I realize it's written for knitting socks on two circulars. I don't have two circulars in the same size, nor do I really quite know how to rewrite the pattern for knitting on DPNs. Boo. So I'm not sure where to go from here, I guess I'll be picking a new pattern. Too bad.

1 comment :

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Saw your blog referring to my free pattern. It is pretty easy to use the 2 circ pattern with DPNs. Just replace the current "Needle 1" with DPNs 1 and 2, and "Needle 2" with DPNs 3 & 4, then knit with the 5th DPN. Other than that, there isn't much that needs changing really.

Alternately, if you have a fav sock construction you can just plug the stitch pattern into that construction. Though I do want to warn you that the stitch pattern has a bit less stretch than many sock patterns so you will likely want to round up your stitch count a bit.

Good luck!