Saturday, November 22, 2008

#%&*%^$^!!

Remember how I said this cable didn't look too difficult, and I would definitely have the sweater done by Thanksgiving? I'm sure some of you tried to stifle a giggle--and you were oh so right.

I just finished row 3 of the cable chart, and had an extra stitch at the end. So, where did I go wrong? I don't know. I assume I miscounted stitches somewhere along the way . . . and I have no idea how to fix this. If I rip out the row, all the stitches will be out of order, and it will take approximately eleventy jillion years to get them back on the needle in their correct order and then do the row all over again.

Sigh. With so much Christmas knitting to be done, I really don't have time for these kinds of knitting hijinx. Grrrr.

3 comments :

Clumsy Knitter said...

Whoa. That sucks. The only thing you can really do is find out where the cable got off and tink back. I don't think dropping down will fix anything if all the stitches following the mistake are out of order too. :(

Mrs. Homesteader said...

I've found a way to make it easier to rip out a row on a cable. Before you pull out your actual working needle and rip stitches, insert another needle into the row below the one you need to rip. That way you're only ripping down to the needle, and the stitches that are out of order won't twist around each other and make it harder to pick them back up when you're don't ripping back. It's kinda hard to describe without pictures, but it's really easy to do once you get going.

Anonymous said...

That's no good. I hate when I'm working on something and when I get to the end of the row ... more sts???

The other folks have great suggestions though. Good luck!