Monday, November 5, 2012

On disappointment

The last time I showed you my Rocky Coast Cardigan, it looked like this:

Untitled

Here's what it looks like now:

IMG_5643

Just one small problem.

It doesn't fit.

Le sigh.

I made a bit of a rookie mistake.

I forgot that gauge when knitting flat =/= gauge knitting in the round.

The body of the sweater is knit flat, but the sleeves are knit in the round--and while I hated working on such large DPNs, it was a relief to stop purling!

I was so relieved, I forgot to think.

And, alas, the sleeves turned out far, far too narrow.

I can squeeze bare arms into them, but it's not exactly comfortable. And I plan to wear the sweater over long-sleeved shirts anyway.


The good news is, I have more yarn, so I can fix them.

The bad news is, I was already knitting on size 10.5 needles, with a rather loose gauge, and I refuse to work on size 13s.

So, I'll rip back, add more stitches under the arm, and eliminate some decreases.

That should do it.

I just . . . don't want to do it.

Le sigh.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Did you look at the errata for the pattern? I didn't find it until after I made the sleeves and they were WAY too narrow, too.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Into a time-out then! Those sleeves look narrow even in the picture. I like my sleeves loose enough that I can push'em up when I feel like it.

Good luck when you get the energy to take on the fixing of it :)

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, that is dreadful! I hope that you can get it fixed!