Friday, July 5, 2013

Bound Off: Oak Trail Hat

Oak Trail hat

Things I can't be bothered to remember when shooting FO photos: lipstick and not having wet hair.

Oh well.

When I got my ebook copy of Botanical Knits, I wanted to cast on pretty much everything immediately, and this hat in particular caught my eye. You can see it's not your typical beanie or beret, and I wanted to see how it was constructed.

Similar to my Hugs and Smooches hat, this one starts with a long strip knit lengthwise, and then stitches are picked up for the hat body. The way Alana constructs the rounded edge and cable is pretty ingenious, and fun to knit.

Oak Trail hat

Pattern: Oak Trail, by Alana Dakos, from Botanical Knits
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Mo, a single ply, 70/30 wool/mohair blend; approx 150 yds
Needles: Size 7
Mods: zip
Raveled

I knit this with some leftover Madelinetosh from a sweater project that is currently in limbo--slightly too small, could possibly be salvaged with blocking, needs buttons.Tosh Mo is supposedly a DK weight, but I found it much closer to worsted. While I'm not usually a mohair fan, I love the soft halo it gives this hat, and this silvery green color is amazing.

The hat itself fits perfectly, and, if I do say so myself, is quite flattering. It will be in heavy rotation this fall and winter, I'm sure.

No comments :