Monday, July 28, 2014

Mom's Day Out


Looking very pregnant celebrating CP's birthday last weekend!

Everything checked out at last week's doctor's appointment, so for now, baby #2 can continue to bake until his due date, and on Saturday, I got to keep my plans for a last day out before he arrives.

I got my hair colored (I had nearly 3 inches of regrowth, because I was trying to wait until as close to my due date as I could--who knows when I'll next get a chance!), had lunch at a tapas restaurant with my sister, and visited a new-to-me local yarn store in Frederick, MD--The Knot House.

Like just about everything in downtown Frederick, it's tucked into a an old townhouse and is completely charming. The selection is relatively small, but a nice mix of staples and local and/or indie yarns. And a bit of fiber too. I was excited to see Neighborhood Fiber Co., Dragonfly Fibers, The Fibre Co., and Shalimar Yarns, among others.

So, what did I buy? I opted for a few special items from small dyers, and I'm really excited about them!


Fiber! Yes, I have to start building up my stash. This soft, fuzzy delight is from Gourmet Stash, and it's a blend of alpaca, merino and silk. I have a feeling that with alpaca and silk, this will be slippery to spin--I'll have to work my way up to it.


Rainbow yarn does not usually call to me, but something about this one did. I tried to walk away, but I just couldn't. This is Western Sky Knits Twinkle Sock in the colorway Choco Rainbow. I'd never heard of this dyer before, but looking at the website, I have a feeling I'm going to be a repeat customer.


And this is one I've been interested in for a while, and finally found in-person. Spincycle Yarns Dyed in the Wool, colorway Fallen Leaves. It's a mill spun yarn with a handspun look, and I've loved it since I first saw it on Alana Dakos' blog. At $29 for 200 yards of sportweight it is not cheap, but I'm eager to find a special project for it.

So, in all, a nice pre-baby treat for myself.

And speaking of treats, don't forget that all of my self-published patterns are BOGO until the end of the month--just use the code JULY14 in my Ravelry shop!

Aaaaaand, speaking of self-publishing (I am the master of the segue way), did you know that I run pattern tests through the MediaPeruana Designs Ravelry group? It's true--yarn companies, magazines, etc., do their own testing, but for self-published patterns, I run my own tests. If you're interested in testing patterns before they're published, check out the Testing thread. You can sign up to be contacted directly regarding testing opportunities, or just check in occasionally to see if anything's available!

I actually have a lot to say this week, so stay tuned--I steeked my first thing, I've nearly got 2 more pullovers done, and I want to show off a few baby knits!

No comments :